All building is a combination of Art and Science, Architecture and Engineering and Robert Bird Group continually strives to deliver structural solutions that are sensitive to the aims of other building disciplines particularly the overall architectural ethos.
For public assembly buildings such as stadia and convention centres and where the Architectural approach demands, the structure becomes even more an intrinsic and often fully visible part of the Architecture.
Building on a growing reputation for innovative solutions in building structures across all sectors, Robert Bird Group has established an Architectural Engineering Team to provide a design focus within the practice for such projects. Stephen Morley, Principal for this group, brings an international reputation for conceiving and delivering Architectural Engineering on many significant iconic buildings worldwide.
The Architectural Engineering Services team, under Stephen’s guidance will lead or provide support to other teams in the group on such projects covering aspects such as:
- Concept structural design including form for exposed and long span structures
- Specialist aspects of loading of such structures
- Environmental wind, thermal and Earthquake
- People loading, crowd dynamics, crowd lateral loading
- Specialist aspects of the design of such structures
- Non linear and dynamic analysis
- Staged erection analysis
- System buckling and robustness analysis
- Internal independent review including benchmarking
Within Robert Bird Group, engineers are encouraged to spend time in the AES team to help promote and disseminate a broader understanding and discipline integrated approach across all structural teams in the group. In this way the AES team, rather than an isolated specialism, is a focus for the further development of these skills and experience throughout Robert Bird Group.