This is the new home to London’s historic Leathersellers’ Company, which was founded by charter in 1444. The existing building at St Helen’s Place was constructed in 1920, and its Portland Stone façade was reconstructed in the 1940s following damage sustained during WWII.
£32m construction cost
The Worshipful Company of Leathersellers
Eric Parry Architects
Multiplex Construction Europe
Robert Bird Group Services:
Structural, Civil and
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.