American Express Corporate Headquarters comprises four basement car parking levels, a ground floor transfer deck and eleven storeys of office space above ground floor. The building sits directly adjacent to the Western Distributor.
American Express is a part of the wider King Street Wharf precinct, with total project value in excess of $1.2 billion. Robert Bird Group was engaged by the client for structural and civil engineering for the life of the entire development.
Building Metrics:Total Area:
- 16,500 m² approx
- Levels: 11 + 4 basements
4 Star Greenstar
4.5 Star AGBR
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.