The project was won as a competitive PPP bid in 2012, and all PPP facilities were delivered by the end of 2016. Robert Bird Group provided the structural engineering services and in-ground services, 3D modelling, and clash detection for all PPP buildings, from bid phase to final completion.
ICC Sydney is one of Australia’s largest multi-modal convention, exhibition and entertainment precincts. The project features:
Year Start / Completed:
Total Area: 80,000 m² approx
8000 seats 95m x 90m Theatre Building
40,000m² Exhibition Building
2500 seats Darling Harbour Theatre
35,000m² Convention Bayside Building
Hassell Studio + Populous
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.