MP2 Plot H2 is one-half of the second phase delivery of Elephant & Castle. Comprising of three separate blocks over a common single storey basement, MP2 offers a mix of tenure type and apartment sizes to cater for the demand to live in a rejuvenated area of Zone 1, London. Ground floor retail, social amenities, ‘Club Lobby’ area, function rooms, basement car-parking and plant rooms and landscaped central podium deck at Level 1, generates an enhanced living experience and promotes integrated community environment. Building typology is split between a 31-storey tower and two 10-storey mansion-blocks.
10 – 31 Storeys
Site Area: 35,000m2 GIA
Robert Bird Group Services:
Structural, Civil and
Geotechnical Engineering Design
Key technical challenges
- Controlling differential settlement effects in raft slab foundation (supporting mansion blocks) at perimeter of piled foundation (under tower).
- Perimeter basement secant pile wall threading through an array of existing piles and associated water-proofing treatment
- The underlying stiff limestone band had on previous plots limited the use of piling plant and techniques. RBG challenged this thinking and proposed piling solutions for the tower, which passed through this band into the Harwich group and toed into Thanet Sands below.
- Use of transfer slabs and walking columns to successfully transfer column loads safely into the ground
- Co-ordination of PT tendons with balcony brackets, cast-in channels for cladding supports, punching shear rebar etc.