Robert Bird Group is the civil and structural engineer for the Transport NSW Pendle Hill Station Easy Access Upgrade Project. This project is part of the wider Transport Access Program which aims to upgrade the transport network to improve access for customers.
The Pendle Hill Station Upgrade includes four new lifts, a new station concourse and footbridge, new stairs and platform canopies, station amenities refurbishments and additions, and adjustments to street and public domain infrastructure. As part of this upgrade, the existing station footbridge will be partially demolished, including the complete removal of the existing ramps to Joyce Street and Wentworth Avenue.
Transport for NSW
John Holland Group
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.