Westfield Stratford City is the prestigious gateway to the London 2012 Olympic Park. The mixed-use development is one of the largest retail-led urban regeneration projects in the UK. The shopping centre sports a combination retail and leisure spaces connecting it with major transport links. It is also the heart of the new Stratford City residential and commercial area.
Total Area: 1.9m sq.ft. retail
1.1m sq.ft. office space
Levels: 3 storeys retail + 4 basements
3 anchor stores
Over 300 individual tenancies
5,000 car parking spaces
3 hotels, a casino, cinema and bowling alley
BREEAM Rating: Very Good
Exec Architect BGI
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.