Employment Type Full-time
Robert Bird Group is a leading international structural, geotechnical, civil and construction engineering consultancy. We are specialists in the built environment and complex infrastructure. We are recognized for a large range of landmark projects and can offer you excellent career progression and opportunities in inspiring and challenging projects, both locally and internationally.
RBG offers dedicated in-house Geotechnical and Geo-environmental Engineering teams based in London (our central hub) and Dubai. RBG’s award-winning geotechnical teams continue to provide industry-leading design solutions on a variety of challenging and prestigious building and infrastructure projects. Our teams are able to service projects located across the UK, Europe, Middle East, Asia and Australia. We use a range of complex analytical tools in combination with our ‘Design Leadership’ and ‘Design for Delivery’ approach to develop and inform optimised construction sequences and innovative construction techniques, which reduce or eliminate construction risks, leading to better programme and cost outcomes.
We are looking for an Associate Geotechnical Engineer to join our Geotechnical Team in the London Office. This is an exciting time for Robert Bird Group, as we go through continual expansion, and so presents an opportunity for someone looking to further their career within a thriving engineering consultancy.
They will have the opportunity to directly contribute to the growth of the team and to manage and deliver the geotechnical aspects of a variety of prestigious buildings and infrastructure projects within the UK and overseas. This role will provide the candidate with continuous exposure to collaborate with other teams and disciplines within RBG UK and overseas, as well as to interface with existing and prospective clients.
- Proactively and ethically motivate and lead project teams to deliver superior outcomes.
- Promote Robert Bird Group to existing and prospective clients.
- Establish new clients and develop existing client relationships through excellent project delivery and repeat business.
- Client liaison in conjunction with Project Directors including but not limited to:
- Meeting and exceeding client expectations.
- Ensuring client requirements are clearly understood by all company personnel involved in projects.
- Identifying changes in client requirements as may occur during the course of a project and effect the subsequent design and documentation changes necessary to meet the new requirements.
- Develop fee proposals.
- Active involvement in all projects under their direction, including project programming and monitoring, ensuring exemplary service afforded to clients at all times.
- Develop concept design and design philosophy in conjunction with Project Director.
- Review design and design documentation, including design checking when required (requires Director approval prior to issue).
- Select sub-consultants including development of scope, programme and commercial aspects (appointments in conjunction with Commercial Manager).
- Undertake project cost control and compile project invoices.
- Plan and manage project resources.
- Negotiate fee variations with clients in conjunction with Project Director.
- Undertake project coordination and represent the company at consultant’s meetings etc.
- Implement Quality System on projects.
- Undertake career planning and arrange for effective mentoring to be provided to employees under your direction so that they reach their full potential through career development and personal growth.
- Identify training (either on job or through suitable courses) for all employees under your direction.
- Supervise staff under your direction and offer pro-active advice in relation to problem solving issues.
- Actively participate in developing the UK practice including technical excellence, culture, procedures, professional development and continuous improvement.
- Develop and implement company policy.
- Implement Health and Safety policies and procedures on projects and oversee team’s compliance
- Participate in Workplace Health and Safety committee if, and when, required.
Required Qualifications and Memberships
- Relevant engineering experience (6 to 10 years), including but not limited to design of complex foundation and substructure systems, ground movement assessment and impact assessment of existing assets, monitoring related activities and proficiency with industry design software such as Plaxis 2D, Plaxis 3D, Oaysis package, Wallap and Slope W.
- Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) or equivalent.
- Chartered Member of the ICE or the Geotechnical Society or equivalent.
- Master of Engineering (Civil) or equivalent.
Please attach a CV and cover letter.
Robert Bird Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.