Employment Type Full-time
Robert Bird Group is a leading international structural, geotechnical, civil and construction engineering consultancy. We are specialists in the built environment and complex infrastructure. We are recognized for a large range of landmark projects and can offer you excellent career progression and opportunities in inspiring and challenging projects, both locally and internationally.
We are looking for a Design Engineer (Highways) to join our Civil Team in the London Office. This is an exciting time for Robert Bird Group, as we go through continual expansion, and so presents an opportunity for someone looking to further their career within a thriving engineering consultancy.
- Proactively and ethically motivate project teams to deliver optimised and sustainable design and construction solutions.
- Assist in the preparation of tenders/bids and fee proposals to capitalise on work winning opportunities.
- Collect, prepare, and compile project fee forecasts and projections for the UK business.
- Assist with project financial management to include cost control and invoicing.
- Assist with project resource planning. Liaise with Senior Engineer to ensure projects have sufficient resources allocated to them.
- Development of graduate engineers in their professional development and coach them to accept greater responsibility on the projects they are assigned to.
- Coach and mentor graduate engineers so that they reach their full potential through career development and personal growth.
- Supervise graduate engineers under your direction and offer pro-active advice in relation to problem solving issues.
- Assist Senior Engineer with onboarding of internal suppliers and procurement of external suppliers to undertake specialist services on behalf of RBG.
- Assist with commercial governance of projects to include commercial, financial and risk management.
- Technical governance of projects in compliance with RBG IMS quality processes and procedures (ISO 9001 and 14001)
- Actively participate in developing the UK practice including technical excellence, culture, procedures, professional development, and continuous improvement.
- Compliance with and overseeing implementation of Health and Safety policies and procedures to include CDM Regulations 2015.
- Assist Associate Director to implement the business development strategy outlined by the Director to support growth of the discipline.
- Promotion of Robert Bird Group to existing and prospective clients, establish new clients and develop existing client relationships through excellent project delivery and repeat business.
- Assist with implementing branch/discipline marketing strategy in association with the Director and Associate Director. Preparation of business-to-business presentations, technical articles, seminar presentations and workshops.
- Assists with preparation of technical capability statements and project profiles. Obtain client feedback for projects that you are responsible for.
- Expanding knowledge of clients, market and project opportunities.
- Assist with identifying leads and participating in work winning opportunities in converting them into confirmed work.
- Assist with and develop fee proposals and commercial contract and agreement reviews. Liaise with Legal.
- Provide project management to all projects you are responsible for, ensuring exemplary service always provided to clients.
- Undertake client liaison in conjunction with the client project team to include but not limited to:
- Ensure client requirements are clearly understood by all RBG employees involved on the
- Ensure that the client’s requirements are met.
- Identify changes in the client’s requirements as may occur during the project, which incur scope and programme changes, and result in additional works (redesign / abortive works / production information).
- Undertake project coordination and represent the RBG company at Client meetings.
- Assist with the procurement of external suppliers to deliver project scope, programme, and commercial aspects on behalf on RBG (appointment in conjunction with Discipline Director).
- Project forecasting in terms of cost, revenue, and invoicing (to include Direct Costs).
- Compile project invoices for review and submit to Senior \engineer for review.
- Assist with negotiation of fee variations with clients and prepare variations.
- Responsible for project cost control for your projects and ensure within agreed budgets.
- Assist Commercial Manager UK, with debtor collection on projects.
- Ensure RBG Compliance and oversee implementation of Quality Systems on projects.
- Focus on highways, access roads and temporary/enabling works design, to include road diversion and haul road projects across all sectors to include Roads, Rail, Urban Regeneration and Aviation. Undertake due diligence, feasibility studies, conceptual optioneering, detailed design both pre and post planning and design and build through construction. Design interface with asset structures to include bridges, stations etc.
- Undertake geometric Highway Design to include horizontal/vertical alignments to include Highways, Roundabouts, Junctions (T, Staggered and Grade Separated/Signalised etc).
- Highway Design to ‘Design Manual for Roads and Bridges’ (DMRB), ‘Manual for Streets’ (MfS), Highways England and Local Authority Standards. Obtain appropriate Technical Approvals.
- Undertake surface and foul water drainage design and Sustainable Urban Design Solutions (SuDs), to appropriate design standards and local legislation and guidelines, to align with SuDs Hierarchy.
- Undertake Earthwork’s design to include cut/fill analysis, cutting and embankment design with associated land drainage.
- Undertake Flexible and Rigid Pavement Design, to include regulating and new pavement construction, kerbs, footways.
- Undertake signing and lining design with Vehicle Restraint Systems (RSAs) and Road Safety Audits (RSA) – Stages 1, 2 and 3.
- Liaise with Service Providers (Utilities) and undertake service diversions and protection of services to ‘NRWSA’ and ’ENJUG’ to obtain appropriate approvals.
- Stakeholder Management to obtaining appropriate Technical Approvals from Local Planning Authorities (LPA’s), Environment Agency (EA).
Required Qualifications and Memberships
- BEng (Hons) or MEng (Hons)
- Towards Chartered/Incorporated Status with ICE (or equivalent)
- Relevant engineering experience (5 Years)
- Proven delegation and negotiating skills (5 years)
Please attach a CV and cover letter.
Robert Bird Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.