- Global multi-disciplinary professional services consulting firm
- Landmark construction projects
- State-of-the-art animation / Virtual Design for Construction (VDC) technologies
Robert Bird Group (RBG) is a leading international specialist engineering consultancy business built upon delivering structural and civil engineering excellence worldwide. We transform inspiring visions into successful realities, offering innovative, collaborative, flexible, and proactive solutions. We integrate design excellence with construction and delivery expertise in close partnership with our clients.
RBG have been operating successfully for over 35 years and our team provide structural engineering services on some of Australia’s most significant projects, e.g. Australia 108, the Melbourne Metro and the Westgate Tunnel.
We have a highly attractive career opportunity for a Graduate/Junior VDC Unity Developer to join our growing Technical Services team in Melbourne. Working with a highly skilled, innovative and energetic team, using the UNITY real-time development platform, you’ll have opportunity to play a key role in the development of a virtual construction framework in a very exciting journey ahead.
RBG use VDC and BIM technology for the daily production of construction documentation to enhance value engineering, virtual design and construction via cutting edge 3D, 4D & 5D (VR & AR) digital engineering. This methodology enables our VDC team to provide re-useable virtual / federated models to improve safety and overall construction efficiencies for construction sequencing, clash detection and to minimise wastage.
Apply your development skills plus your understanding of Design/Modelling/Drafting construction documentation to support a diverse range of private and public sector development projects: buildings, major social, utility, transport and infrastructure projects. You’ll have opportunity to create exciting virtual construction simulations to support landmark projects in Australia and overseas.
RBG provides frequent opportunities for professional development and the chance to learn directly working in close collaboration with our dedicated teams of local and international technical experts.
Reporting to the Group VDC Development Lead, duties include:
- Assisting with the management and maintenance of existing software developments including RBG Reveal
- Liaise with Drafting/Modelling teams to integrate new/improved virtual models to enhance the delivery of existing projects
- Actively participate in the generation of innovative ideas, proposals and virtual mock-ups
- Provision of first-level technical support across the business
- Participate in the development of vizualisation solutions to support / integrate workflows and foster interdisciplinary collaboration for improved project delivery
Required skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or similar
- Understanding of object-oriented programming concepts: encapsulation, abstraction, inheritance & polymorphism
- Thorough knowledge of C# scripting or experience with other languages Java, C++, Python etc.
- Version Control experience e.g. Git, SVN, Mercurial etc.
- A team player with proven problem-solving capabilities
- Passion to learn new software development and programming techniques
Desirable skills, experience, interest or knowledge (not essential):
- BIM and game modelling packages (3ds Max, Rhino, Revit, etc.)
- Shader programming and/or agile development practices
- Unity UI and Animation systems
- Developer experience with Unity platform (1 to 2 years’ experience)
- Software development design patterns and use cases.
- Knowledge of SQL & database architecture principles
- Al Algorithms experience
- Construction experience desirable, but the right attitude and experience is more important
If you have initiative, a positive attitude and enjoy working in a hardworking but fun team then this is the role for you! Perks include a great location, an active social club, a paid day of birthday leave every year, weekly Friday drinks, and a vibrant office culture.
Robert Bird Group is an equal employment opportunity employer.
This role does not require agency input. Please do not forward resumes directly to RBG’s employees/managers; we do not accept unsolicited resumes and are not responsible for any associated fees.