Employment Type Full-time
Robert Bird Group is a leading international structural, geotechnical, civil and construction engineering consultancy. We are specialists in the built environment and complex infrastructure. We are recognized for a large range of landmark projects and can offer you excellent career progression and opportunities in inspiring and challenging projects, both locally and internationally.
We are looking for a Design Engineer (Infrastructure) to join our Civil Team in the London Office. This is an exciting time for Robert Bird Group, as we go through continual expansion, and so presents an opportunity for someone looking to further their career within a thriving engineering consultancy.
- Proactively and ethically motivate project teams to deliver optimised and sustainable design and construction solutions.
- Assist in the preparation of tenders/bids and fee proposals to capitalise on work winning opportunities.
- Collect, prepare, and compile project fee forecasts and projections for the UK business.
- Assist with project financial management to include cost control and invoicing.
- Assist with project resource planning. Liaise with Senior Engineer to ensure projects have sufficient resources allocated to them.
- Development of graduate engineers in their professional development and coach them to accept greater responsibility on the projects they are assigned to.
- Coach and mentor graduate engineers so that they reach their full potential through career development and personal growth.
- Supervise graduate engineers under your direction and offer pro-active advice in relation to problem solving issues.
- Assist Senior Engineer with onboarding of internal suppliers and procurement of external suppliers to undertake specialist services on behalf of RBG.
- Assist with commercial governance of projects to include commercial, financial and risk management.
- Technical governance of projects in compliance with RBG IMS quality processes and procedures (ISO 9001 and 14001)
- Actively participate in developing the UK practice including technical excellence, culture, procedures, professional development, and continuous improvement.
- Compliance with and overseeing implementation of Health and Safety policies and procedures to include CDM Regulations 2015.
- Assist Associate Director to implement the business development strategy outlined by the Director to support growth of the discipline.
- Promotion of Robert Bird Group to existing and prospective clients, establish new clients and develop existing client relationships through excellent project delivery and repeat business.
- Assist with implementing branch/discipline marketing strategy in association with the Director and Associate Director. Preparation of business-to-business presentations, technical articles, seminar presentations and workshops.
- Assists with preparation of technical capability statements and project profiles. Obtain client feedback for projects that you are responsible for.
- Expanding knowledge of clients, market and project opportunities.
- Assist with identifying leads and participating in work winning opportunities in converting them into confirmed work.
- Assist with and develop fee proposals and commercial contract and agreement reviews. Liaise with Legal.
- Provide project management to all projects you are responsible for, ensuring exemplary service always provided to clients.
- Undertake client liaison in conjunction with the client project team to include but not limited to:
- Ensure client requirements are clearly understood by all RBG employees involved on the
- Ensure that the client’s requirements are met.
- Identify changes in the client’s requirements as may occur during the project, which incur scope and programme changes, and result in additional works (redesign / abortive works / production information).
- Undertake project coordination and represent the RBG company at Client meetings.
- Assist with the procurement of external suppliers to deliver project scope, programme, and commercial aspects on behalf on RBG (appointment in conjunction with Discipline Director).
- Project forecasting in terms of cost, revenue, and invoicing (to include Direct Costs).
- Compile project invoices for review and submit to Senior Engineer for review.
- Assist with negotiation of fee variations with clients and prepare variations.
- Responsible for project cost control for your projects and ensure within agreed budgets.
- Assist Commercial Manager UK, with debtor collection on projects.
- Ensure RBG Compliance and oversee implementation of Quality Systems on projects.
- Focus on masterplanning development projects across all sectors to include regeneration, aviation, Infrastructure, industrial, and develop masterplan for submission to planning for both Building (onplot) and Masterplanning (Site-Wide) developments.
- Undertake Flood Risk Assessments (FRA), Surface and Foul Water Drainage Strategies and Design, Sustainable Urban Design Solutions (Blue/Green Roofs, Retention Basins, Rain Harvesting, Swales etc.) – for basements, public realm, site wide, to appropriate local planning policies and guidelines, Part L of the Building Regulations and Sewers for Adoption.
- Undertake Hydraulic Modelling using Microdrainage (Windes) software.
- Liaise with Water Authorities to obtain appropriate Statutory Approvals (S104 & 106).
- Undertake design of roads/access roads to Manual for Streets (MfS) and DMRB.
- Undertake Geometric Design using Civil 3D, clash detections using Navisworks and visualisations using Infraworks.
- Liaise with Local and Highway Authorities to obtain Technical Approvals S38/278.
- Develop concept design and detailed design philosophy for utilities spacial planning, roads and public realm, level strategy, earthworks analysis, drainage, pavement design and signing/lining design.
- Prepare design and production information for review by Senior Engineer and approval by Associate Director.
- Responsible for Technical Governance and undertake review and of design and design documentation prepared by you and graduate engineers/technicians (design checking when required).
- Respond to Planning Application and Reserved Matters queries post submission of Planning Applications.
- Undertake below ground design co-ordination and clash detection exercises during the design development.
- Attend Risk Management and Value Engineering Workshops to develop de-risked design for value sustainable solutions.
- Respond to Technical Queries during Construction.
Required Qualifications and Memberships
- Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) or equivalent
- Working Towards Chartered Status with ICE or equivalent
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- Relevant Engineering Experience (5 years)
- Proven Delegation and Negotiating Skills (1 Year)
Please attach a CV and cover letter.
Robert Bird Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.