This large scale development at Stapylton comprises a 19 hectare site which was developed into a regional distribution centre for an international limited brand discount supermarket retailer. The centre includes over 60,000m² of warehouse and cold handling floor, 2500m² of office space, 3500m² of workshop and 4 hectares of trafficable pavement.
Robert Bird Group’s civil division played a key role in this development including bulk earthworks, stormwater drainage, sewer and pavement works were designed with particular importance placed on the client’s vision of having a very long term use of the distribution centre.
Significant and interesting aspects of the project and Robert Bird Group’s role include the following:
- Bulk earthworks, stormwater drainage and sewer design.
- Major roadworks – the design of a concrete road to stand the stresses of heavy vehicles.
- Considerable services coordination for the entire site.
- Developing pavement documentation to minimise shrinkage and cracking due to poor service point locations.
Total Area: Approx 190,00m2
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.