The National Gymnastics Arena (NGA) of Azerbaijan in Baku is a purpose-built facility designed primarily to provide an Olympic standard venue for Rhythmic Gymnastics, but with the flexibility to accommodate a wide range of other events for both sport and entertainment. It has a capacity of approximately 6,000 seated spectators and extensive hospitality facilities. It is also the resident training facility for the Azerbaijan Gymnastics Federation.
Accommodation within the facility is planned around the main arena bowl and includes general concourses, hospitality facilities, restaurant, VIP lounges and other public amenities serving the venue.
Robert Bird Group were central to the original competition-winning design.
Total Area: pending
300 Parking spaces
Broadway Malyan and Pattern Architects
Robert Bird Group Services:
Civil Engineering from RIBA stages to completion
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.