The Capitol is a new residential, office and retail development located in Chapel Street, South Yarra. It comprises:
- 4 basement car parks
- 2 levels of retail/commercial. The lower level retail will be accessed from Chapel Street while the Upper level will be accessed from Toorak Road
- Level 1 will be a common podium floor for the apartments and will have units, landscaping and community facilities including pool and gym.
- These community facilities will be located within the footprint of the Chapel Tower (north Tower)
- 9 storey apartment tower to be known as Toorak Tower (South Tower)
- 53 storey apartment tower to be known as the Chapel Tower (North Tower)
• Total Area: 73,000 m² approx.
• Levels: 53 + 4 basements
4 Star Greenstar
4.5 Star AGBR
Capitol (Vic) Pty Ltd
Crema Constructions Pty Ltd
Bates Smart Architects
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.