Saville Hotel and Apartments is a $90-million-dollar, thirteen-storey multi-use building located next to IMAX at Southbank, close to the Brisbane CBD. The building is multi-use with 88 residential apartments and 161 hotel suites. The first four stories consist primarily of car parking, with some tenant facilities and street level retail, dining and function facilities. The next four stories are hotel short-term accommodation, with the remaining five levels being permanent residential accommodation. The construction of this building was considered integral to the development of the South Bank Precinct and hence was opened by Premier Peter Beattie. It has also won numerous QMBA 2006 awards and was awarded runner-up with the Institution of Engineers for an award pertaining to engineering difficulty.
The building was constructed out of reinforced concrete vertical elements (columns and walls) and reinforced post-tensioned concrete floor plates, with a structural steel roof. The building consisted of three significant transfer decks throughout the height of the building due to different floor plate usages. There were numerous structural engineering challenges associated with this building.
3 above-ground basements
Stockland Development Pty Ltd
Laing O’Rourke Australia
Fairweather Proberts Architects
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.