POSITION TITLE: Senior Engineer
BUSINESS UNIT: Structures
BRANCH / LOCATION: Birmingham
REPORTS TO: Associate Directors
SUPERVISES: Engineers and Technicians
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) or equivalent
REQUIRED PROF. MEMBERSHIIPS: IStructE or ICE
PREFERRED PROF. MEMBERSHIIPS: Chartered Member of IStructE or ICE
DUTIES: (Actions required to be performed by personnel filling this position.)
- Promote Robert Bird Group to existing and prospective clients.
- Establishing new clients.
- Client liaison in conjunction with Associate Directors and Associates including but not limited to:
- Project coordination – consultants’ meetings etc.
- Meeting and exceeding client expectations;
- Ensuring client requirements are clearly understood by all company personnel involved in projects;
- Identifying changes in client requirements as may occur during the course of a project and effect the
subsequent design and documentation changes necessary to meet the new requirements.
- Active involvement in all projects under their direction, including project programming and monitoring.
- Assist with coordination and management of project team resource requirements with Associates.
- Design and design philosophy development in conjunction with Project Director.
- Preparation of preliminary designs (requires Director approval prior to issue).
- Design and design documentation reviews (design checking when required).
- Assist Project Director with fee proposal development.
- Assist with selection of subcontracted consultants.
- Undertake project cost control practices and assist with compilation of project invoices.
- Negotiation of fee variations with clients in conjunction with Project Director.
- Training and direction of all Engineers under their direction.
- Coordinating resource requirements with the Associates.
- Detailed design and design checking.
- Site inspections and liaison.
- Implementation of Quality System on their projects.
- Implement Health and Safety policies and procedures on projects and oversee team’s compliance
- Participate in Workplace Health and Safety committee if, and when, required
RESPONSIBILITIES: (Results / Outcomes for which the personnel filling the position will be held accountable.)
- Execution of all items listed in Duties.
- Project profitability.
- Achievement of programme milestones.
- Client satisfaction.
- Training of graduate and design engineers.
- Project invoicing/projection accuracy.
- Creation and maintenance of ‘team’ environment on London office in conjunction with the Company principals.
AUTHORITY: (Actions which the personnel filling the position are authorized to execute subject to the accompanying conditions.)
Action / Authority
- Allocate project staffing, acquisition of additional projects resources
- Subcontract work component
- Negotiate Fee and Variations
- Design documentation approval
- Project correspondence approval
Condition / Applied
- In coordination with Exallos Manager
- With Director approval
- With Director Approval
- Subject to conformance to approved preliminary design
- Subject to Project Director prior approval
- 8 Years Preferred Relevant Engineering Experience
- 5 years Required Design and design development
- 2 years Required Account Management
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
(The KPI’s listed below are to be taken into account during the performance review.)
- Project Profitability
- Return or ongoing business from client
- Personal continued professional development
- Positive performance as part of the ‘team’ environment
- QA procedure implementation
- Performance to programme