Employment Type Full-time
Robert Bird Group is a leading international structural, geotechnical, civil and construction engineering consultancy. We are specialists in the built environment and complex infrastructure. We are recognized for a large range of landmark projects and can offer you excellent career progression and opportunities in inspiring and challenging projects, both locally and internationally.
We are looking for a Senior Technician (Highways) to join our Civil Team in the London Office. This is an exciting time for Robert Bird Group, as we go through continual expansion, and so presents an opportunity for someone looking to further their career within a thriving engineering consultancy.
- Proactively and ethically motivate Technicians/Junior technicians to deliver sustainable CAD and digital solutions.
- Co-ordinate Technician/Junior Technician project resource planning. Liaise with Associates/ Senior Engineers to ensure projects have sufficient resources allocated to them.
- Development of Technician/Junior Technician in their professional development and coach them to accept greater responsibility on the projects they are assigned to.
- Coach and mentor Technician/Junior Technician so that they reach their full potential through career development and personal growth.
- Supervise Technician/Junior Technician under your direction and offer pro-active advice in relation to problem solving issues.
- Technical governance of projects in compliance with RBG IMS quality processes and procedures (ISO 9001 and 14001).
- Actively participate in developing the UK practice including technical excellence, culture, procedures, professional development, and continuous improvement.
- Ensure Compliance by Technician / Junior Technician with RBG QA policies and procedures and their implementation.
- Assist with conducting interviews for all required Technician/Junior Technician with Director/Technical Associate if required.
- Compliance with and overseeing implementation of Health and Safety policies and procedures to include CDM Regulations 2015.
- Assist with implementing branch/discipline marketing strategy in association with the Director and Associate Director. Preparation of business-to-business presentations, technical articles, seminar presentations and workshops.
- Assists with preparation of technical capability statements and project profiles.
- Expanding knowledge of clients, market and project opportunities.
- Focus on highways, access roads and temporary/enabling works design, to include road diversion and haul road projects across all sectors to include Roads, Rail, Urban Regeneration and Aviation. Undertake due diligence, feasibility studies, conceptual optioneering, detailed design both pre and post planning and design and build through construction. Design interface with asset structures to include bridges, stations etc.
- Liaise with Client and project team with respect to questions/queries relating to their documentation and inform the Project Leader and other members of the project team of any changes.
- Undertake geometric Highway Design to include horizontal/vertical alignments to include Highways, Roundabouts, Junctions (T, Staggered and Grade Separated/Signalised etc).
- Highway Design to ‘Design Manual for Roads and Bridges’ (DMRB), ‘Manual for Streets’ (MfS), Highways England and Local Authority Standards. Obtain appropriate Technical Approvals.
- 2D drawing production using Autocad
- Undertake 3D modelling for all stages of design to include the following:
- Civil 3D – Geometric design (Horizontal and Vertical Alignments)
- Earthworks Analysis and Embankment/Cutting design – DMRB
- Drainage Contours – Isopachytes – DMRB
- Services (Utilities) Diversions – NJUG
- Pavement – Surfacing and regulating design – Isopachytes _DMRB
- Infraworks – Concept Design and Visualisations
- Keysign/Lines – Signing/Lining design.
- Autotrack – Vehicular Movements Tracking
- Prepare highways geometric design layouts and 3D modelling for setting out purposes, for review by Senior Engineer and approval by Associate Director.
- Attendance at Client project team meetings.
- Proficient in AutoCad and Civil 3D software tools.
- Basic understanding of Navisworks, Infraworks and REVIT and their use.
- Learn RBG Digital Workflows.
- Ensure DC control incoming and outgoing drawings/documents and their issue, and DC track internal distributions/ workflows.
- Ensure Technicians/Junior Technicians comply with and implement DC procedures. Liaise with DC
- Maintain documents and project drawing files.
- Check design outputs (format, numbering, etc) and maintain a record of design outputs.
- Ensure compliance with project/ RBG documentation and design procedures
- To have a basic understanding of engineering drawings, documents, and procedures.
- Working with an online document control systems (eg Asite…etc)
Required Qualifications and Memberships
- BEng (Hons) or MEng (Hons)
- Towards Chartered/Incorporated Status with ICE (or equivalent)
- Relevant engineering and drafting experience (5 Years)
- Civil 3D or Similar (3 Years)
- Demonstrated Capacity to provide leadership to CAD Teams (1 Year)
- Proven Delegation and Negotiating Skills (1 Year)
Please attach a CV and cover letter.
Robert Bird Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.