The New Doha International Stadium (Al Bayt) is a 70,000 seat stadium being built in Al Khor, approximately 60km from Qatar’s capital Doha. This new 200,000m² stadium is one of the five stadiums being built by Qatar in preparation for the 2022 World Cup.
The structural design has been undertaken by Dar Al- Handasah and Massimo Maffeis and features the following:
• Reinforced concrete substructure and seating superstructure
• Long-span steel roof with retractable central section
• Tension fabric ‘tent’ over the entire building envelope
• Low-rise external structures for retail, administration and services
• Elevated vehicle ramp for VIP access
USD $ 1 Billion
Year Start / Completed:
~ 250,000 m²
Al Habtoor Leighton and Murray & Roberts JV
Habtoor Leighton Steel
Robert Bird Group Services:
Structural Engineering Support
Structural Steel Design
Temporary works Design
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.