The 99,000 seat Spotify Camp Nou stadium is currently the largest football stadium in Europe and an icon of the city of Barcelona. The Espai Barca Camp Nou Redevelopment project involves the partial demolition of the existing stadium and reconstruction as a 105,000 seat stadium that will then be the largest and most innovative sports and entertainment venue in Europe.
Espai Barca scope includes the demolition and refurbishment of parts of the existing Tier 1 and Tier 2, the full demolition and reconstruction of the existing Tier 3 as well as the demolition of the existing basement carpark and construction of 90,000 m2 of new basement and ground floor slabs. The stadium will also have the largest cable net roof of any stadium in the world.
There were unique aspects of the Camp Nou project which Limak identified would require an engineer that understood construction and the need to design new structures that could be constructed efficiently. It was also identified that there was a need to partially demolish the stadium and construct the new stadium on a very constrained inner city site and complete the works within an extremely challenging construction programme. This resulted in Limak engaging RBG to lead their design team during the tender.
Limak identified that the Camp Nou project was going to be a methodology-led tender and that RBG, utilising our Construction Methodology and Erection Sequence (CMES) Approach, was perfectly placed to deliver the required structural engineering, construction engineering and Virtual Design and Construction (VDC) services whilst addressing the buildability and site constraints that would be required to provide the winning edge for their tender.
Key RBG scope, initiatives and innovations include:
- Identification of the Baseline Multi Zone Construction Methodology and Erection Sequence (CMES) for the project, incorporating demolition and construction phases.
- Condition surveys for Tier 1 and 2 Refurbishment.
- Development of options for the new cable net roof during tender, followed by detailed design of the largest stadium cable net roof in the world.
- Structural design and detailing of the new Tier 3 stand including foundations and bowl, and the 90,000m2 external basement.
- Logistics planning and the verification of the 6 Zoomlion Heavy Lift Tower Cranes.
- Virtual Design and Construction (VDC) services including a full sequence of the demolition and construction based on the Multi Zone CMES.
- Advisory services including project management and programming.
- Presentations to Limak and FCB at various times during the tender and post tender submission meetings.
- Site phase construction monitoring and advisory services
Plan / Advise /
Design / Manage
990 Million Euro
Sports & Entertainment
Structural Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering,
Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering,
Virtual Design & Construction, and Construction Monitoring