Robert Bird Group completed delivery of structural and civil engineering consulting services for the SPP and PDP phases of the Blacktown and Mt Druitt Hospitals redevelopment project for Health Infrastructure NSW that included:
- A new 26,000m2 clinical services building, incorporating a comprehensive cancer centre.
A subterranean two storey tunnel linking the existing Main Hospital Building to the New Clinical Services Building.
- A new multi-storey car parking structure with circa 800 car parking spaces.
- A new main hospital entry road and signalised intersection off Blacktown Road.
- Improved traffic circulation around the hospital to allow the campus master plan to easily expand into future stages.
- Refurbishment of some 4,500m2 in the existing Main Hospital Building to expand department and improve departmental adjacencies.
- At Mt Druitt, expansion of the Dental Centre and Clinical Services expansion to the west of the existing building.
- Improving civil infrastructure across both sites to cope with increased traffic and rectifying current stormwater storage.
Key technical challenges
Robert Bird Group delivered master planning, schematic design, detailed design and site phase services to ensure the project was delivered with minimal disruption to existing hospital operations, and at minimal capital cost without sacrificing performance or quality.
We achieved significant structural cost savings through innovative approaches to future flexibility and meeting the project brief.
- The primary structures consist of one-way banded slab system with a sacrificial topping zone to allow for future flexibility. Due to the various wards and functionality within the new Clinical Services Buildings, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised core wall penetrations.
- Coordination with the services consultants and Geotechnical engineer for the design of a subterranean 2-storey tunnel linking the existing Main Hospital Building to the proposed new Clinical Services Building, that included underpinning the existing Main Hospital Building whilst being fully functional.
- Extensive coordination with the hydraulic services consultant to develop and implement the client brief hydraulic risers adjacent to column, which included a soft zone for future flexibility/expansion without the need for strengthening.
AUD$700 million for both stages 1 and 2
4 Star Greenstar
4.5 Star AGBR
Health Infrastructure NSW
Stage 1: Laing O’Rourke
Stage 2: AW Edwards
Robert Bird Group Services:
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.