Robert Bird Group completed delivery of structural and civil engineering consulting services for the SPP and PDP phases of the Blacktown and Mt Druitt Hospitals redevelopment project for Health Infrastructure NSW that included:
- A new 26,000m2 clinical services building, incorporating a comprehensive cancer centre.
A subterranean two storey tunnel linking the existing Main Hospital Building to the New Clinical Services Building.
- A new multi-storey car parking structure with circa 800 car parking spaces.
- A new main hospital entry road and signalised intersection off Blacktown Road.
- Improved traffic circulation around the hospital to allow the campus master plan to easily expand into future stages.
- Refurbishment of some 4,500m2 in the existing Main Hospital Building to expand department and improve departmental adjacencies.
- At Mt Druitt, expansion of the Dental Centre and Clinical Services expansion to the west of the existing building.
- Improving civil infrastructure across both sites to cope with increased traffic and rectifying current stormwater storage.
AUD$700 million for both stages 1 and 2
4 Star Greenstar
4.5 Star AGBR
Health Infrastructure NSW
Stage 1: Laing O’Rourke
Stage 2: AW Edwards
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.