SINGLE LEAP (Living Environment and Accommodation Precinct) was a Defence project to bring live-in accommodation for single members of the Australian Defence Force, into line with community standards. Phase 1 involved over 100 individual buildings comprising 1550 units of accommodation across three sites including: Holsworthy (NSW), Amberley (QLD), and Enoggera (QLD).
The accommodation generally consists of three storey buildings, with ground floor car parking and storage, accommodation units, and laundries on Levels 1 and 2.
The project also included recreation buildings and administration buildings for the general use of the Defence community.
Robert Bird Group’s innovative structural and civil design and construction methodology concept was a critical factor in Plenary Living’s successful bid for this PPP project with Defence.
Total Area: Approx. 40,000m2
Levels: 1-3 ~ across 110 buildings
4 – star Greenstar
Robert Bird Group
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.