The Southbank Student Village is the final component of the Southbank TAFE redevelopment. The project comprises a 14-level tower with a mix of unit types and configurations with a total of 664 student beds.
- The structure utilises flat reinforced slabs and a load bearing precast concrete façade.
Total Area: approx 19,000m2
John Holland Group
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.