Zayed University, located in the new administrative district of Abu Dhabi, is a university campus which can comfortably accommodate 10,000 students. The most striking feature of this project is the 400m-long, steel-framed, aluminium-clad architectural roof which envelopes the university building facilities below. Robert Bird Group’s role across this challenging project included value engineering and alternate concept development across all buildings. We undertook design and construction methodology reviews of the feature roof and detailed design of the central library, convention centre, administration and ancillary service buildings.
Total Area: 213,000m²
Al Habtoor Leighton / Murray & Roberts JV
Al Habtoor Group
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.