Paul Worrall Director, Infrastructure West
Paul joined Robert Bird Group’s London office in early 2018 as the UK Infrastructure Director.
A Chartered Structural Engineer with over 30 years of diverse experience gained working in several sectors including; Retail, Commercial, Transport, Infrastructure, Rail and Aviation.
Paul’s wide experience includes all stages of design and design development which has enabled him to successfully lead and manage the design for several multidisciplinary projects.
Paul has specialised knowledge in the delivery of challenging projects for Network Rail, London Underground, airports and private developers including structural assessments, design of remedial works, building structures, bridges, retaining walls, masonry viaducts, stations and oversite developments.
Of particular note is Paul’s ability to marry his knowledge and experience of the regulated and operationally sensitive Rail and Aviation sectors with the requirements and drivers of private development to successfully deliver challenging development sites.
Paul led the engineering design for London City Airport’s, West Pier redevelopment. This included creating new departure lounges with retail facilities above the existing inadequate lounges, whilst ensuring the full operation of the pier was not compromised.
In addition to public funded rail infrastructure Paul has led the engineering design for multiple privately funded rail projects. These have included;
- The new Shepherd’s Bush station, West London, located in a cutting on the Network Rail network;
- The new Wood Lane station, located on a masonry viaduct on London Underground’s, Hammersmith and City Line;
- A new 16 road sidings located below ground at White City, for London Underground’s, Central Line.
- A new rail bridge replacing a section of masonry viaduct that needed to be slid in place over a 4-day possession of London Underground’s, Hammersmith and City Line;
- Conversion of over 250 metres of open cut into covered way to facilitate highway works and retail development over London Underground’s Central line.