The Robert Bird Group has been engaged by the Leighton Contractors (Asia) & Chun Wo Joint Venture to assist with the development of the roof erection methodology, design of the permanent works structural steel roof connections and temporary works solutions for the new Passenger Clearance Building (PCB) in Hong Kong.
The Passenger Clearance building forms part of the Hong Kong Boundary Crossing Facility (HKBCF), which will provide clearance facilities for passengers and vehicles entering or leaving Hong Kong via the new Hong Kong Zhuhai-Macao Bridge.
The PCB project involves reclamation of approximately 130ha of land from the open waters to the northeast and directly below the flight path of the Hong Kong International Airport and construction of a number of buildings and transport facilities on this artificial island to provide passenger and cargo clearance services.
(Hong Kong Dollars)
Leighton – Chun Wo Joint Venture
Leighton Contractors (Asia) & Chun Wo)
AEDAS International AECOM
Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners.
Robert Bird Group Services:
Steel Roof Connection Design
Steel Façade Connection Design
Construction/Specialist Engineering Visualisation
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.