The $200 million Wemen Solar Farm generates 109MW from two large photovoltaic arrays on over 300 hectares of land located south of the Murray River near Robinvale in Victoria. The solar arrays employ single axis tracking system. RBG was engaged by RCR to undertake the detailed design for the entry road, over 10km internal roads, hardstands, foundations for portable building, substation and containerised inverters.
RBG undertook the optimisation of the array layout through three-dimensional modelling of the earthworks, array pile height and torque tube gradients.
19MWdc photovoltaic solar farm
Robert Bird Group
Civil Engineering Detailed Design
Structural Engineering Detailed Design
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.