The food distribution facility at Derrimut includes over 50,000m2 of warehouse and cold handling floor, 2500m2 of A-class office space and over 3500m2 of plant room / workshop. Long span portal frame construction was used to eliminate internal bracing bays thus providing unrestricted movement to warehouse traffic and future planning.
- Civil works included design and documentation of site bulk earthworks, truck pavements, car parks, stormwater drainage, trunk sewers, and services coordination.
- Truck pavements and hardstands totalled approximately 50,000m² in area.
- Constructed over very difficult ground conditions. Pavements were designed for a non-standard 50 year design life.
Very flat, long span, post-tensioned floors provide a durable, maintenance free floor construction with minimal joints.
The project team worked closely with the client and architects to achieve the required high level of quality and efficiency in design.
5000sqm of warehouse floor
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.