For the prestigious Bloomberg project in the heart of the City Of London, the client faced significant cost escalation due to programme delays brought about by archaeological complications where the site encompasses the ancient Roman Temple of Mithras. In the light of this delay, all subcontractors were requested to develop and incorporate programme acceleration measures where possible. In keeping with this, the concrete frame contractor Byrne Brothers engaged Robert Bird Group to develop programme acceleration ideas.
With programme acceleration as a key driver, RBG engaged its construction engineering team to:
- Design new temporary works for accelerating construction;
- Redesign numerous elements of permanent works for the temporary condition, to avoid additional temporary works, to include basement floors for advance partial construction under heavy plant loading;
- Redesign plunge columns for revised temporary stability, and shear walls for isolated advanced jump-forming;
- Re-design the lift cores for isolated slip-forming and support of tower cranes, which included jump starting the core with partial pre-cast construction to facilitate superstructure erection prior to basement completion.
- The above met the client objective to speed up construction, reducing the construction schedule of these elements by over two months.
Sir Robert McAlpine
Foster + Partners
Robert Bird Group Services: