Cannon Place provides premium office space over Cannon Street Station. The project’s design was inspired by the challenging range of site constraints. The existing station comprises a complex mixture of 1860s brick-vaulted structure and a 1960s concrete-framed redevelopment. Designed by Foggo Associates, the project involved construction of a trussed external frame supporting 21m cantilevers on the northern and southern elevations. The cantilevers and long-span façade truss underwent considerable deflections during construction, and will continue to do so while the building is in service. Displacements were monitored during construction to ensure measurements were in accordance with predictions, and therefore within steelwork installation tolerances.
Total Area: 36,999 m²
Levels: 8 storeys
Very Good’ BREEAM rating
Robert Bird Group Services
ICE Award Winner 2012: Buildings
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.