The construction of London Heathrow Terminal 2 marks the next phase of development to maintain Heathrow’s standing as a world class airport with exceptional passenger experience. Terminal 2 is set to be one of the most modern airport terminals in the world, offering passengers improved service, better facilities and faster connections.
30,000 of suspended precast concrete system
Foster & Partners
(Ferrovial Agroman / Laing O’Rourke JV)
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.