This project involved the design and delivery of extensive enabling works for the new Maitland Hospital development.
The enabling works have involved the design of a new roundabout for primary hospital access, secondary access, stormwater drainage upgrades, major culvert upgrade under Metford Road for flood mitigation, potable water connection, street lighting upgrades, boundary adjustments, new footpath connection, future scenario considerations and general service coordination.
Robert Bird Group were the Civil Engineers for the project, designing and reviewing the construction of all roadworks upgrades, a new roundabout, stormwater drainage, flood mitigation and service coordination.
Health Infrastructure NSW
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.