MP4 is the fourth phase of the Lendlease Master Plan redevelopment of the former Heygate Estate, Elephant and Castle, south London. The phase comprises two plots, H11a and H11b, which frame the eastern end of the overall development. Each plot includes a tower (up to 25 storeys) and a midrise block (up to 11 storeys). The phase will deliver 492 apartments, with a mixture of market, rental and affordable housing. Retail, plant space and building infrastructures are provided at ground floor level, while amenity spaces are provided for both the H11a and H11b plots at level 18 and 24 respectively. A landscaped podium slab connects the H11a tower and midrise block at first level, providing plant and commercial space at ground floor and amenity space and dedicated child play space at level 1. The whole H11a plot utilises Volumetric Modular Construction, whereas Hiib utilises a more conventional RC/PT frame.
Key technical challenges
Both the 18-storey tower and the 11-storey midrise block within the H11a plot will be constructed using Volumetric Modular Construction techniques. Co-ordination of services and structure between the pre-fabricated modules and the in-situ service core and vertical structure below level 1 was key to deliver this innovative construction technique.
- The transfer of the tallest tower core wall at podium level to create space for ground floor restaurant
- Wind response of two towers positioned close one to each other
- Design of spaghetti structure, including second-order non-linear analysis
- Introduction of a swimming pool within the lower tower podium
- Asset protection of a 1500 mm concrete trunk sewer and of a 130kV cable in close proximity to the asset
32 to 78m height
24,900m2 site area
Robert Bird Group Services: