The Network Rail Design Services Framework consists of four multi-discipline and 78 single-discipline frameworks. Robert Bird Group are a single discipline supplier on the Civils and Structural framework in the Wales and Western Regions since January 2020 and anticipate continuing to deliver design services under this framework up until 2025+.
The framework gives Network Rail access to a design support network, providing mutual benefits to the supply chain and Network Rail, thereby improving assurance, knowledge sharing, business and safety performance and enabling innovation.
In working with on a wide typology and age of assets, Robert Bird Group always start from the perspective of minimising interventions. We assiduously review the options available for each type of asset – from light maintenance and repair all the way through to major structural repairs and/or replacement – so that Network Rail have best-value options at their disposal.
RBG services provided focus on:
- Site inspections, ground investigations and surveys of existing railway and highway structures;
- Assessment of existing structural assets and including detailed knowledge of historical structure types and materials such as masonry, iron and early steel structures;
- Remedial design of repairs and structural strengthening;
- Design of new structures including bridges, retaining walls, culverts, tunnels, and ancillary structures;
- Safety critical documents and approvals;
- Liaison for third party approvals i.e. heritage or environmental;
- Detailed knowledge of Network Rail codes, requirements and their approvals process
- Specialist surveys including environmental reports and intrusive investigations;
- Principal Designer Role through design and construction;
- Forensic GAP analysis of proposed Crossrail Station Design Submission.
- Asset Protection Project Engineer Secondments reviewing third Party submissions on HS2.
- Production of standardised design manual for UK Masterseries OLE support structures.
UKMS OLE Manual
Since the launch of the Overhead Line Equipment (OLE) UK Master Series (UKMS), the standard designs of support structures in this series have been specified on a variety of Network Rail projects. However, the use of these structures was based on design checks to validate their suitability and capacity on an individual project basis. NR is aiming to provide calculation verifications for this set of standard designs. RBG are appointed to undertake all the calculations and verifications associated with the different designs in the manual providing a comprehensive revised set of drawings and manuals.
OOC Design Services
RBG is providing services within the HS2 Western Region, with 3 No. Full time ASPRO Civils based Engineers to support the ASPRO Designated Project Engineer (DPE) in review of third-party submissions for the new HS2 Old Oak Common station project. The appointed Engineers perform the duties in line with the requirements of Network Rail Standard NR/L2/INI/02009/01, under the direction of a Network Rail member of staff in the role of DPE.
GAP Analysis of Stations Buildings
RBG were appointed to carry out a GAP analysis report for the proposed GRIP 5 designs of several stations under construction, after Network Rail identifying an exceptional number of design deficiencies. The key issues behind the defects were that parts of the GRIP 5 design were in-complete, found to be deficient to enable construction, or failed to integrate the different disciplines leading. The review covered Structures, Civil, Architecture, M&EE and BIM modelling with a specific focus on clash detection and risk management.
Robert Bird Group, in the Principal Designer role, provided design services within the framework in a series of projects ranging from assessments of existing structures to new construction. Some of the most remarkable are:
- Honeywicke Retaining Wall
- Bishopsteignton Culvert
- Downside Rail
- Rainbow Hill Tunnel
- Windsor Viaduct
- Durley Somerdale Masonary Arch Underbridges
- Stroud Footbridge
5+1+1+1 Design Services Framework for Civils and Structural Services for Network Rail Wales and Western Region.
Roads & Highways
Robert Bird Group Services:
Surveying and Asset Inspection