New Perth Stadium, is a multi-purpose stadium in Burswood, Western Australia. The stadium is primarily used for Australian rules football and cricket. It was completed in late 2017 and officially opened on 21 January 2018. The stadium has a capacity of over 60,000 people (making it the third-largest stadium in Australia) and has a roof coverage over 85 per cent of its seats.
Robert Bird Group were the design review team assessing:
- Effects of all loads on the structure including wind;
- Earthquake and crowd loading amongst others;
- Overall structural stability of the roof and bowl;
- Dynamic response of the structure to crowd loading &
- Buildability and proposed construction sequencing.
Savills Project Management
HKS Sport & Entertainment
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.