One the Elephant is part of the Elephant Park regeneration project. It comprises a 37-storey residential tower connected by a single-storey raised courtyard into a four-storey pavilion building. The ground floor of the pavilion building is allocated predominantly to retail units and commercial office space, but also includes back-of-house facilities.
The ground floor of the tower houses the residential lobby entrance, a communal space, a bike store, and back-of-house facilities. A single level basement sits beneath (and in places beyond) the building foot print, and accommodates 45 car parking spaces and MEP plant areas.
NIA: 23,500 m²
Levels: 37 storeys
ground floor retail + single level basement
Squire & Partners
Robert Bird Group Services:
Temporary Works Engineering
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.