The Peninsula Link is a 27 kilometre four lane connection between the Frankston Freeway-East Link Interchange at Carrum Downs and the Mornington Peninsula Freeway at Mount Martha.
The project was completed in 2013 with a total delivery cost of $759 million. The project includes 28 bridges comprising 45 separate structures. The Robert Bird Group provided structural engineering services for temporary works and independent third party certifications of temporary works.
Linking Melbourne Authority (LMA)
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.