Designed in conjunction with Woods Bagot for Aldar Properties, Shams Marina is a shoreline hotel development on Reem Island. The project incorporates four towers (two branded residential towers, a hotel tower and one tower for serviced apartments) which range from 12 to 24 storeys in height. All four towers sit on a shared two-storey basement structure. The development also incorporates a beach club which provides dining and a pool area.
Robert Bird Group was responsible for the structural and civil design from pre-concept to detailed design stage.
Year Start / Completed:
GFA of 115,000 Square metres
Target LEED GOLD
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.