The $407 million Southern Expressway Duplication project transformed the one-way reversible expressway into an 18.5km multi-lane, two-way expressway between Bedford Park and Old Noarlunga.
The project was completed in 2014. Ten existing road bridges over the expressway were extended and widened to cross the wider carriageway.
Baulderstone Pty Ltd
BAJV – Joint Venture Baulderstone & Abi Group
Robert Bird Group Services:
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.