The $32 million Swan Hill Solar Farm comprises more than 50,000 solar panels operating on a single axis tracking system, and produce 37,700MWh in its first year of operation, enough to power the equivalent of around 6,300 homes.
RBG was engaged by RCR to undertake the detailed design for the entry road, internal roads, hardstands and the foundations for portable buildings, substation and containerised inverters.
19MWdc photovoltaic solar farm
Robert Bird Group
Civil Engineering Detailed Design
Structural Engineering Detailed Design
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.