Located in West London, Westfield London sits on a 46-acre site, encompassing five anchor stores, over 280 speciality shops, 47 dining options, leisure facilities (including a multi-screen cinema complex) and parking for 4,500 vehicles. It is one of the largest retail developments in Europe, with 27 million shoppers using the complex in its opening year.
Total Area: 46 acres
Levels: 5 storeys
5 anchor stores – over 280 specialty shops
4,500 space car park
BREEAM Rating: Very Good
Westfield Shoppingtowns Ltd
Westfield Construction + Multiplex
Benoy + Buchan Group + Michael Gabellini
Robert Bird Group Services
Key technical challenges
- The primary tower structure consists of a composite slab and beam structure. Due to the long beam spans and thin slab, extensive analysis for footfall vibration was required to ensure the structure achieved code requirements and client expectations.
- Working with the existing structure and developing design solutions that strengthened rather than demolished.
- Extensive co-ordination with the mechanical engineer to develop a strategy that minimised beam penetrations and beam notches.
- Differential shortening analysis with consideration of mega truss, steel structure, concrete structure and existing structural elements
- 5 Star Greenstar
- 5 Star NABERs Energy and 4 Star NABERs Water ratings.