MP1 is the first phase of the regenerated, former Heygate Estate, Elephant & Castle, London. Comprising of three separate sub-plots, and a total of seven building blocks, MP1 delivers private, shared ownership and affordable accommodation to a once-dilapidated area of south London. Provision of retail, social amenities, dedicated underground car-park and landscaped central courtyard provides a high quality and sociable living environment within Zone 1 of London.
3 – 16 Storeys
Site Area: 21,000m2
Maccreanor & Lavington
Robert Bird Group Services:
Structural, Civil and
Geotechnical Engineering Design
Key technical challenges
- RBG designed CLT floor and wall panel solutions (and transfer elements) to Stage D; solutions were generated to cater for various builders-work strategies.
- Post tender stage RBG were requested to redesign 8 floors of CLT frame on two blocks to in-situ RC; RBG delivered within a very tight programme, and to agreed planning and cost parameters.
- Raft and piled foundations schemes responded to varying ground conditions and existing obstructions, including a disused civil defense (nuclear) underground shelter.
- Careful consideration to punching shear rebar in raft foundations so as not to increase risk of rebar congestion.
- Very congested underground services solution which underwent numerous changes due to evolving district heating pipework and landscaping requirements
- Developing connection and interface details for the townhouses to meet Passivhaus standards