Employment Type Full-time
About the role
Robert Bird Group (RBG) is a global consulting engineering firm committed to delivering each client’s vision through the relentless pursuit of engineering excellence across all projects. We strive for ‘Good to Great by Design’ by transforming inspiring concepts into buildable designs through innovative, collaborative, and proactive solutions.
RBG has a rich history of embracing digital technology, from the application of advanced structural analysis to the use of Virtual Design and Construction and the broad application of BIM for efficient project delivery. In recent years RBG has also been growing its capabilities in digital/computational design, and now has significant skill-sets spread across its offices globally.
Reporting to the Group Engineering and Technology Director, this role offers an opportunity to lead both the strategic and operational offering of RBG’s digital/computational design solutions across the business including UK, Middle East, Australia, New Zealand & Asia.
You will actively contribute to developing digital/computational design strategies for the business globally and work with regional teams and representatives to build best-in-class solutions and support the growth, adoption, and delivery of strategic digital/computational design initiatives.
The role will require strong leadership, excellent communication, and a proactive approach; driving change initiatives across the whole of the business to fully integrate digital/computational design methods into project delivery workflows and driving forward training and awareness of digital/computational methods at all levels of the business.
Why work for us?
RBG is committed to the relentless pursuit of engineering excellence and uses technology to ensure consistently, informed, and efficient delivery of engineering solutions to our clients. We strongly believe that the innovative application of digital technology is key to continuing to realise this vision, so that we may strive for more sustainable places to live and better ways to build.
As a leader at RBG, you will have an opportunity to leverage some of the world’s largest, highest-profile and most complex projects to drive the application of digital/computational design. You will become part of an existing dedicated team of digital experts and regional specialists spread throughout the business including software development, digital/computational design, Virtual Design and Construction, BIM and, of course, engineering.
We offer participation in the leadership bonus program, various paid leave, financial and health/well-being benefits, recognition awards, dynamic leadership, and a collaborative team environment.
The role will include:
- Providing leadership and a Group-wide focal point for digital/computational design for regional and business leaders,
- Actively contributing to the development, implementation and communication of digital/computational design strategies and initiatives,
- Providing direct support to regional project teams to develop and deliver excellent digital/computational design solutions,
- Driving technical excellence in digital/computational design through forums technical working groups and R&D activities,
- Identifying technical needs to deliver digital/computational design initiatives,
- Developing and implementing productivity improvement initiatives relating to digital/computational design,
- Working with project teams to support the application of digital design on buildings, civil, and construction engineering projects,
- Collaborating and coordinating with RBG engineers, specialists, and developers to design and implement workflows, best practices, and software tools,
- Contributing to marketing material and supporting the preparation of digital/computational design examples and proofs-of-concepts for bids,
- Contributing to the development of training material and online content for knowledge sharing platforms/forums,
- Hosting workshops, delivering training sessions and facilitating internal presentations to develop staff knowledge and understanding,
- Delivering external talks and conferences to develop RBG’s profile as digital/computational design leaders.
The successful applicant will have:
- A BEng or MEng degree in a relevant engineering discipline and a Master’s degree in computational design (or associated field)
- Professional Qualifications such as ICE, IStructE, MIEAust or a relevant institution preferred.
- Experience with structural optimisation methods, including topology optimisation and evolutionary algorithms
- Experience in at least one programming or visual scripting language, preferably including C#, Python, Grasshopper or Dynamo.
- A proactive approach in maintaining up-to-date knowledge of digital/computational design via active engagement in the industry community
- Experiencing leading change initiatives concerning computational design processes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Leadership experience in delivering digital/computational design solutions on complex projects
Robert Bird Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This role does not require agency input. Please do not forward resumes directly to RBG’s employees/managers. We do not accept unsolicited resumes and are not responsible for any associated fees.